Friday, May 13, 2011

Bon Voyage

Here marks the beginning of yet, another summer.


I was recently given a book "Words in a French Life" by a dear friend of mine and have decided to mimic the author's, Kristin Espinasse, style. Every chapter develops around a French word, whether it be her struggles as an American to pronounce words correctly or a funny encounter where language got the best of her.

So here we begin: Bon Voyage

Eng:safe journey, safe trip, pleasant travels

In reality this means packing, goodbyes, tears, stress, "last nights" out, cleaning, moving, excitement, nerves...and simply being stuck between wanting to be here and wishing I was there.

Today is graduation and for most it marks the end of something and the beginning of "real life". Seeing how I have yet to buy a dress for graduation in 6 hours (shh..don't tell my mom) and am too concerned with how I am going to get my ever-looming To-Do list done before I leave, I'm experiencing a different kind of stress. I'm more worried with how I'm going to pack-up my condo, pack a suitcase, and make time for last "hoorahs" with friends in 11 days, than the ever present question of "So, what are you going to do now?" I guess, I should be worried about that too..it just doesn't fit on the list right now.

The space between here and there; between "home" and the journey is always one of transition and with that some discomfort. I realize the more time I become "rooted" in Phoenix the more I enjoy it, but at the same time I am always ready to leave when summer comes around. Another dear friend told me that the need to have wings is just as powerful as the need to have roots. Yes, roots and wings.

I feel like a rooted tree with wings.
Between here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment