Monday, August 1, 2011

Français

Bank deposit receipt

If you want to feel like you can do anything
and that the world is possible,
Learn a new language.

It's nowhere close to easy.
Promise.
But the amount of reward and self-satisfaction is beyond worth.

One thing that I've come to appreciate over the summer is the overwhelming sense of joy
when I "successfully" communicate or do a simple errand in French.

Some streets of Aix have even seen full-out happy dances

Everything about this "new" language seems a little awkward and very unknown
so I constantly operate in an unfamiliar realm,
which I feel has made me more likely to do or try things that otherwise would be undiscovered.

I've quickly learned that although there are little triumphs,
there are grave errors.

Many of them.
Over and over
again.

ex: faim et femme

And in the midst of humility, I've learned laughter.

Here's another example:
I discovered this nice little container on my first solo trip to the grocery store.

At first glance this appeared to be yoghurt--
take a close look at the white creamy stuff in the spoon and tell me that doesn't remind you of yohurt

It's not.

After eating quite a few and realizing that this wasn't exactly yoghurt, I turned to trust 'ld Wikipedia to uncover exactly what "fromage frais" was---

It's similar to cream cheese.

I still laugh, especially when I continue to eat it for breakfast
like this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment