Thursday, August 25, 2011

Marché




I think one of the biggest compliments someone gave me was calling me

A farmer's market girl--
I'm pretty sure I was radiant.

It's true. I love open air, live markets where you can actually buy food that is barcode free and tastes real from people who remember your face and thankfully, here, they happen everyday.

Yes, everyday.

Some days, I want to pull up a chair and simply watch.

Today there was a mess of people between the 2 markets in adjacent plazas and amidst the mass crowd, vendor booths overflowed with "solde" items, and musicians played on street corners.


All on the same street, the size of one lane--if that.

For me, being here as obviously a foreigner, the market has given me a sense of a foundation--
a place where I feel "at home".

By now, I've cultivated a couple relationships with various vendors:

I buy olives from a man who perpetually whistles a delightful tune and always asks "Comment ça va?"

I'm teased by a vendor for wearing my green beret in the middle of summer.

A couple, whom run a organic farm, sneaks "extra" goodies into my sack like fresh figs and green plums. I think this is their way of insuring that I come back for more--
It works.

I ran into Ashmi (another vendor) during the National Holiday and was greeted with a standard 2-kiss greeting and felt utterly "known" and a sense of belonging.

I'm certainly not ready to leave this "home" and

Goodbyes are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment